Dec 17, 2018
A major in Music requires a minimum of 12 courses plus senior thesis or a recital. The Music Department offers various paths of study of music. Students may choose among three concentrations:
- History, theory, or composition;
- Ethnomusicology; and
Requirements for the Major (three concentrations)
1. History, theory, or composition
Option 1 Course Requirements
Option 2 Course Requirements
- MUS 066 SC - Music Cultures of the World
- MUS 101 SC - Music Theory I
- MUS 102 SC - Music Theory II (prerequisite: MUS 101 or equivalent).
- EITHER MUS 110A SC - Music in Western Civilization OR
- MUS 110B SC - Music in Western Civilization
- MUS 112 SC - Introduction to Ethnomusicology
- One music elective course ( MUS 103 SC , MUS 104 SC , MUS 110A SC , MUS 110B SC , MUS 118 SC - MUS 132 SC , or other music course chosen in consultation with academic adviser).
- Ensemble: Two semesters of ensemble (MUS 172 SC MUS 173 JM MUS 174 JM MUS 175 JM MUS 176 JM ), or, upon approval, a different credited type of ensemble elsewhere in the consortium, for equivalent credit. One semester may be MUS 131 SC if not chosen as the music elective course).
- ANTH 002 SC - Introduction to Sociocultural Anthropology or
- ANTH 011 PZ - The World Since 1492
- ANTH 003 PZ - Language, Culture, and Society
- ANTH 105 PZ - Field Methods in Anthropology (prerequisite: ANTH002 SC , and MUS 066 SC or MUS 112 SC ).
- One additional elective course from music, anthropology, linguistics and cognitive science, sociology, or media studies.
Prerequisite: Approval of performance concentration status by full music faculty and teacher of performance area by the end of sophomore year.
Same as #1 History, theory, or composition concentration above
- Ensemble: Two semesters of ensemble (MUS 172A SC , MUS 173 JM , MUS 174 JM , MUS 175 JM , MUS 176 JM or, upon approval, a different credited type of ensemble elsewhere in the consortium, for equivalent credit).
- Keyboard: Two semesters of applied keyboard study (MUS 085 SC , MUS 171F SC , MUS 171H SC )
- Applied lessons during sophomore and junior years, and the first semester of senior year.
- MUS 189 SC - Junior Recital
Senior Requirements in Music
History, theory, composition, ethnomusicology, and performance concentrations
- MUS 191 SC - Senior Thesis (Students will normally register for senior thesis in spring of their senior year.)
- Students on the history, theory, and the ethnomusicology paths complete a written thesis.
- Students on the composition path present a student recital of their works and submit a portfolio of their compositions.
- Students in the performance concentration present a senior recital with scholarly program notes in lieu of a written thesis.
Honors Program in Music (all concentrations)
The Music Department confers honors in music on outstanding students who exhibit excellence in scholarly research/composition/performance. A student who wishes to be considered for honors should discuss it with the thesis adviser.
- A GPA of 11.0 (A-) in the music major.
- One additional music elective course.
- An honors-quality thesis with a grade of A or A-.