May 23, 2024  
2016-2017 Scripps Catalog 


The College believes in the educational validity of the four-course program for each semester. The rate of progress toward the degree may be accelerated or diminished, and individual students are advised to consider their own powers and preparation in determining the rate at which they move forward. A student may register for a maximum of five and three-quarters courses in one semester; three courses are the minimum for a full-time program. Full-time residential students will be expected to complete degree work in no more than 10 semesters. 

Part-Time Student Status

Certain degree-seeking students may, after consultation with their academic adviser and the Registrar, enroll on a part-time basis for a short period of time. Students must submit a written request for part-time status to the Registrar and may enroll in no more than 2.75 Scripps courses while part-time.

  • Students wishing to complete the entire Scripps BA degree program on a part-time basis must submit a written request for permanent part-time status to the Registrar but may enroll in no more than 2.75 courses per semester for their entire program at Scripps. Permanent part-time students enrolled half time (a minimum of one and one-half courses) or more may be eligible for financial aid, as funds permit.
  • All part-time students will pay the current per-course fee plus student body fees and are not eligible to live in the residence halls.

Cross-Registration at The Claremont Colleges

Courses completed at any of The Claremont Colleges while enrolled at Scripps are considered resident credit and are transcripted as such. Scripps students are welcome to register for courses offered throughout the consortium as long as they meet the requirements for the course and adhere to Scripps policies as detailed below.

Students may cross-register without the express permission of the adviser if off-campus courses fall within the guidelines below. Students are normally expected to enroll on the home campus for courses offered at more than one of The Claremont Colleges. Cross-registration may be limited or prohibited in certain courses. Priority in course registrations generally is granted to home-campus students.

  1. First-year students usually register for their entire first-semester program at Scripps. Second-semester, they may register for one course at one of the other Claremont Colleges.
  2. Sophomores may register for one course per semester at one of the other Claremont Colleges.
  3. Juniors and seniors may register for up to one half of their courses in each semester at another of The Claremont Colleges.
  4. Cross-registration for courses in excess of those outlined above must have explicit permission of the student’s adviser. There is no additional tuition for enrolling in courses at the other Claremont Colleges.
  5. Keck Science courses, courses in other joint or cooperative programs in which Scripps participates and Claremont Colleges Intercollegiate program courses (i.e., AA, AF, CH) are considered as courses offered by the home campus.

Student misconduct or other violations may result in ineligibility to cross-register. See the Guide to Student Life for more information.

Credit Differences for Non-Scripps Courses

Because we are a consortium with multiple schools sharing a schedule, you may notice that some schools offer different amounts of credit. Please be aware of the following conversions that will happen automatically when you register for these courses:

Harvey Mudd: Courses listed as semester units, so a 3- or 4-credit Harvey Mudd course will appear on your schedule as 1.0 Scripps credit.
Similarly, 2 Harvey Mudd credits = .5 Scripps Credit, and 1 Harvey Mudd credit = .25 Scripps credit.

Changes in Registration

All registration changes must be accomplished either through the Scripps portal or on a special form by the deadline indicated in the current academic calendar. Students must petition to the Committee on Academic Review for exceptions to published registration deadlines; repeated petitions for exceptions to published deadlines are not likely to be approved. Registration and petition forms are available in the Registrar’s Office.

Adding Courses

  • Students may add courses through their Scripps portal accounts during the first 10 instructional days of a semester. Registration for some courses, e.g., senior thesis, independent study, and independent internship, require specialized forms as do requests for pass/fail or audit grading statuses.
  • Students who fail to register for any courses by the add deadline are subject to administrative withdrawal.

Dropping Courses/Withdrawal

  • A student may drop most courses via the Scripps portal during the first seven weeks of the semester, and no record of that course is made on the transcript. However, students must petition to the Committee on Academic Review to drop Writing 50 or any of the three Core courses.
  • After the last day to drop courses, a course withdrawal form is required and a grade of W will appear on the transcript; no course withdrawal forms will be accepted after the last day of classes before reading days and final examinations begin except in cases of emergency by petition to the Committee on Academic Review.

Student Disenrollment Policy 

If a student fails to attend the first two meetings of a course (or one course meeting for courses meeting only one time per week) and the absences were not approved in advance by the instructor, the faculty member of record may ask the student’s Registrar to drop the student from the course. However, students will not automatically be dropped from a course they do not attend. The student may appeal to their home college for reinstatement into a dropped course when documented circumstances beyond the student’s control prevented the student from attending the course and communicating with the instructor before the add deadline.

Quarter Credit (.25) Course Limits

Scripps students may earn .25 course credit for registering and participating in physical education activities, including intercollegiate athletic team sports, but official enrollment is not required for participation. Students may earn up to a total of 1.0 Scripps course credit (four .25-credit enrollments with passing grades) exclusively for physical education, including intercollegiate and intramural athletic team sports. Some physical education activities have additional fees and registration requirements; see the current schedule of courses for current fee information. (See Physical Education  in the Special Programs section and Athletics  in the Student Life section of this catalog for additional information.)

A number of quarter-credit courses are offered for which Scripps students may cross-register, including dance, foreign languages, music, and theatre. Scripps students may earn up to a total of 1.0 Scripps course credit (four .25-credit enrollments with passing grades) exclusively for quarter-credit enrollments other than physical education.

Scripps students may not earn more than 2.0 credits total for quarter-credit enrollments at The Claremont Colleges. Transfer credit will not be accepted for any similar activity enrollments at other colleges and universities.

Audit of Courses

Regularly enrolled students and members of the Claremont community may register as auditors only on a space-available basis and only with written permission of the instructor. Core, writing, studio art, and music performance courses may not be audited. Forms to request to audit courses are available in the Registrar’s Office.

Audited courses do not earn credit and may not be used to meet any degree requirement (general education, major or minor), and do not meet prerequisite requirements for a higher level course. A student who audits a class may not subsequently enroll for credit (letter grade or pass/fail) for the same class with the same instructor.

Auditors may not change their enrollment status to receive credit after the last day to add classes; credit enrollments may not be changed to audits after the last day to drop classes. Instructors have the option of dropping auditors who attend fewer than half of the class meetings, and such dropped courses will not appear on student transcripts.

Regularly enrolled students pay no additional fees to audit courses. Applicable fees for members of the Claremont community to audit courses are indicated in the “Expenses  ” section of this catalog under “Fees.”

Because this program has not been evaluated by Scripps faculty, during the 2016-17 academic year Scripps students may not receive credit for courses taken in the intercollegiate Self-Instructional Language Program (SILP). This policy will be evaluated at a future date.

Mid-Semester Leave or Withdrawal

If for unanticipated reasons a student needs to request a leave of absence or to withdraw from the College before the end of the semester, the student must contact the Dean of Students Office and the Registrar. Any student who initiates a leave or withdrawal after the last day to drop courses will be assigned a grade of W for each current course enrollment. (Refer to the “Expenses  ” section of the catalog for possible refund information.)

Indicating Plans for the Following Semester

Returning to Campus in Continuous Enrollment

It is expected that degree-seeking students will maintain continuous full-time enrollment until they graduate and that, if their plans change, they must formally notify the Registrar by way of the Intent to Take a Leave of Absence form or Notice of Withdrawal form.

Taking a Leave of Absence from Scripps

  • Leave of absence for up to two consecutive semesters is permitted for personal, medical, financial, or other reasons. A student must formally notify the College via the Intent to Take a Leave of Absence form (available in the Registrar’s Office) by mid-March for the following fall semester, or by mid-November for the following spring semester. Deadlines are posted by the Registrar each semester. This notification process must include meeting with the academic adviser, the Dean of Students, the Registrar, and the Office of Financial Aid. Failure to complete this process by the posted dates may result in forfeiture of fees.
  • Students who plan to attend and transfer credit from another college are subject to Scripps transfer credit policies. Students must confer with the Registrar for any questions regarding transfer credit policies and procedures. Students will not receive credit from a study abroad program completed outside the purview of the Scripps Study Abroad and Global Education Office.
  • Students wishing to extend a leave of absence beyond two semesters may do so only under exceptional circumstances and via petition to the Committee on Academic Review. Students on leave beyond four semesters are subject to administrative withdrawal.
  • Campus email address, academic portal access, and campus mailbox are retained during the leave of absence.

Returning to Scripps from a Leave of Absence or Off-Campus Study Program

  • A student returning from a leave of absence must formally notify the Registrar of her intent by March 15 for the following fall semester, or by November 15 for the following spring semester. Returning students who confirm their enrollment plans by the posted deadlines will be eligible for Scripps housing and preregistration. Failure to meet these deadlines may result in forfeiture of fees, preregistration privileges, and housing. Students returning from medical leave of absence may need to supply documentation which supports their return to a full course load.
  • Financial aid recipients should consult with the Office of Financial Aid to plan for their return to Scripps, as financial aid deadlines may precede admission notification deadlines.
  • Students who attended a college or university while on a leave are subject to Scripps transfer credit policies. A student must be in good academic standing at all institutions attended while on leave to be eligible to return to Scripps.

Withdrawing from Scripps

  • A student may voluntarily withdraw from Scripps by completing the Notice of Withdrawal form available at the Registrar’s Office. Exit interviews with the Dean of Students, the Registrar, and the Office of Financial Aid are required to complete this form. Students who do so by the posted deadlines are eligible for a refund of their security deposit (minus deductions for any relevant charges).
  • Transcripts of students who withdraw from Scripps by the last day to drop from courses without academic penalty will reflect no enrollment for that semester. Transcripts will show non-punitive grades of W in courses for students who withdraw after the deadline to drop from classes.
  • Campus email address, academic portal access, and campus mailbox are inactivated following withdrawal from the College.

Readmission Following Withdrawal, Suspension, or Dismissal

Students wishing to return to Scripps after withdrawal, suspension, or dismissal must submit the following to the Registrar:

1) Readmission application, available in the Registrar’s Office;
2) A statement describing activities during her time away from the College, and why she wishes to return now;
3) Official transcript from any college/university attended since leaving Scripps

Request for readmission from withdrawal, suspension, or dismissal must be received by the Registrar by April 1 for fall attendance, or by November 1 for spring readmission. Note that financial aid deadlines may precede these dates, and aid may be limited, restricted, or not available. Readmission does not guarantee financial aid availability.

Readmission will be judged primarily on the basis of the student’s standing at the time of withdrawal and all academic work completed since withdrawal. Students who left the College in good academic standing and who maintained a good academic record while away are likely to be readmitted. Students who were suspended for poor scholarship and/or did not meet the terms of their suspension/dismissal are unlikely to be readmitted.

Questions regarding leave of absence, withdrawal, and readmission should be directed to the Registrar.

Non-degree-seeking Students

Non-degree-seeking students should contact the Registrar’s Office for enrollment information. Cross-registration is not available to these students. In general, these students include:

  1. Community members and others may enroll for Scripps courses during the add period as part-time, nonmatriculating students on a space-available basis with instructor permission. These students are not seeking a Scripps degree, pay the current per-course fee, and earn credit and grades for courses completed. Core, studio art, music lessons, science courses, and similar high-demand courses are not available for enrollment by nonmatriculating students.
  2. Auditors pay a $100 per-course fee and earn no credit or grade. Core, studio art, music lessons, science courses, and similar high-demand courses are not available for audit enrollment. Auditors enroll with instructor permission on a space-available basis during the add period. See “Audit of Courses” for additional information.
  3. Visitors (See “Visiting Students”).
  4. Local high school guests pay $100 per course. Contact the Registrar’s Office for specific enrollment restrictions that apply to high school students.

Visiting Students

Current students in good academic standing at comparable college or university liberal arts programs who wish to enroll at Scripps for one semester or one year, but who do not intend to seek a Scripps degree, may apply as visiting students. An Application for Visiting Students is available from and must be returned to the Registrar by April 1 for the following fall semester and by November 1 for the following spring semester along with the following credentials:

  1. An application, available from the Registrar;
  2. $60 nonrefundable application fee;
  3. Two faculty recommendations for visiting students; and
  4. Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended.

Attendance at Scripps as a visiting student does not obligate the College in any way to accept the student as a degree-seeking student should the student choose to apply. Community college students are ineligible to apply for visiting student status. On-campus housing and financial aid are not available to visiting students.

Second Major After the BA

A student who has received a Scripps BA degree may return and fulfill the requirements for another major. Upon completion, this major will be recorded on the student’s transcript according to the following provisions:

  1. The student must be in residence at Scripps for at least two semesters.
  2. The student must fulfill the course requirements for the major at Scripps and/or the other Claremont Colleges.

A student who has completed such a second major will not take part in a second graduation ceremony nor receive a second degree from the College.

Second Degree After the BA

A student who has completed a bachelor’s degree at another college or university may apply for admission to Scripps College with the intention of completing a second bachelor’s degree. The student must meet normal admission requirements and will be allowed a maximum of 16 equivalent transfer courses toward completion of the second degree. All degree requirements outlined in this catalog must be met.